We've been here for two weeks now. We got our shipment in about 5 days after we got here, but we're still not all unpacked. But I have the most important stuff unpacked, like the kitchen things. I brought our silver ware because I wasn't sure what we'd have, and though we were provided with a nice set, the spoons are a bit odd. The small size is perfect for Big E, but the larger size is too big for Steve. I also brought some glass things and they made it without anything getting broken. We were really glad to get our toys too. I've been watching a few kids while their parents are working, but their school hasn't started yet. I didn't have anything for them to do for the first few days. But now there is a toy area under the stairs. Having toys has been such a relief! Not having anything for even 5 days was a bit boring for me and the kids.
We've kept pretty busy. Each weekend there has been something that either needs to be done or fun to do. The first weekend we had to get our blood tested so the state can know our blood type. I'm not sure why that's important to know, but everyone including the youngest had to get pricked. Big E was not a fan. We had to wait in separate waiting rooms, one for the men and one for the women and children. Then we did some much needed shopping for household items at Carrefour, and got phone plans.
Last Saturday was Qatar Foundation's Family Fun Day at the Intercontinental Hotel. We swam and saw the beach (which looked more like a tropical resort with the palm trees that, I'm sure were brought in, than a desert beach). I didn't go down to the water, but Steve did and he said that the sand and the water were really hot.
This was taken from the shaded kids pool.
Here's Big E eating a snack by the pool.
They gave us a nice buffet lunch inside the very nice hotel. I felt a bit underdressed walking in with just my swim suit cover up and flip flops, but I wasn't the only one.
So the way things have been working with getting drivers licenses or the medical tests for residency is that Steve will get an email the day before (though he did get a few days notice for the medical exam, which I still get to do). On Tuesday right before coming home, he got an email notifying him that we were all to take the eye exam for the drivers license the next day and that the place would be open from like 7am to 6pm. And that was all. So after a number of texts that evening between people and working things out the next day, we went in shifts. Steven went at 2 and when his group was done they drove to our compound to pick me up and drop steve off. I was so glad that I didn't have to walk to the clubhouse to meet them as I was quite sick that day. (We literally spent the day watching TV and movies because I felt to so awful.) I had started to feel a little better by the time Steve came home. But the bus didn't really have much air conditioning, and though it was a short ride it was enough to do me in. Fortunately the eye exam wasn't anything I hadn't done already since I have contacts.
This is a view from outside our compound at sunset. One thing that has surprised me is that the call to prayer isn't as loud as I expected. I can hear it if I pay attention, but it's not in your face loud. You can see this from Big E's and Miss A's windows.
And here is Miss A in a new outfit from her tub of clothes that I sent.
And this is how I found Big E right after our shipment was delivered. We were still suffering from jet lag then.
4 comments:
I still get a kick out of you saying it's not as hot as you expected, then following that with "it's only 110". Will the temps get better in the winter?
Yes, they tell us that it'll start cooling off in October or November.
They came and put kite string up from post to post to outline where the new shades will be for the playground... pretty much the same place they were in the beginning!
Love the pics. At least the hotel beach area looks lush and green!
Post a Comment