Thursday, April 18, 2013

Two Cities Seen - Day 5

On April 2 we had another lazy morning.  What else do you do on vacation, right? Certainly none of the 5 am wake up calls that we have in Doha. Steve was once again a hero and walked to a nearby grocery store to get some food for breakfast and lunch (we had ham and cheese sandwiches for lunch frequently - had to eat ham while we could).  Breakfast at this hotel was $22.42 (17 Euros) per person.  I can't believe people spend that much on breakfast.  I'm certainly not spending $88 for my family to eat breakfast. I must be cheap.  :)
Miss A enjoying her food in a box in a attempt to control the crumbs.

A view from our hotel window.


After checking out of the hotel, we walked around seeing the old town.

St. Kastor Basilica.  A sign on the side said it was built in 817-836, but rebuilt in 1948-1955.

Inside the basilica.



And we saw Festung Ehrenbreitstein, which is an old fortress.  It was huge, and we didn't see all of it.  They turned it into different types of museums, some where were pertinent to the fortress, like weapons and soldiers quarters and uniforms, and others were not so much.  Anyone for a display on different kitchen settings?  It looked kinda like Ikea, to be honest.  I was a bit disappointed.  I'm more into the history of things and we didn't see much of what the fortress was like when it was built.  They did have a museum on ancient artifacts from the area, which was cool.








Big E loved the ride to and from the fortress.  Festung Ehrenbreitstein is on the opposite bank of the river than most of Koblenz and where our hotel was. So we rode a cable car over the river and up to the fortress.  It gave us a good look of the city and of Deutsches Eck, which is a monument where the rivers Mosel and Rhein meet. I don't know what it's for, really, but it's huge.


Koblenz was not my favorite city.  I liked the ride up there, but had we not had children who were done with the day when we got to Koblenz (and I planned on that), I think I would have returned to Mainz the day before and gotten in a bit late.  But Big E loved the ride across the river and that makes it all worth it.  :)

From Koblenz we rode the train back to Mainz.  We didn't stop anywhere and ate lunch on the train.  I should have prepared lunch before leaving our hotel.  Making sandwiches on a train isn't easy.

We passed these shacks going in and out of Frankfurt.  It's such a stark difference to the wealthy who live in old castles.


In Mainz we attempted to find the Dom and the Gutenberg Museum, which is conveniently very close to the Dom, but the streets in Germany twist and turn and it's not always easy to find a street sign. We saw a church tower and thought that was the Dom, but it turned out to be St. Stephen's church.  It's about 500 m southwest of the Dom.  But we took pictures anyway since it's "Stephen's church".


We made it to the Dom, which strangely had shops built along the side so that you couldn't see the building from the market square. But the church is beautiful.

This is the square that the entrance is on.

 In side there were some stairs that had a lion on the end of the banister. Big E said, "Look!  It's the library lion!" (The Library Lion is a book we have that he likes to read about a lion that wants to go to the library.)

It's amazing how each church can be so grand and so different.  This one had little areas on the sides of the main area for small groups to gather and I assume listen to someone speak or to ponder.  There were shrines and such and tomb like areas.  I dont' know if they were the actual tombs of saints, or just there as a memorial.  Most signs in museums and such throughout our trip were in German, so we didn't know what they said.

Is this creepy to anyone else?  A skeleton with wings is not something I'd want to have in my church.






We wanted a picture with the Dom, but didn't want to wait for the sun to move and when it's cold and you have two cold children, you make do. :)


The Gutenberg museum has a little place called Drukladen.  I read online that you could go there and use a press.  But what it didn't say (even on it's website) was that it was by appointment and that the child had to be at least 6 years old.  I just went to look around again, and no where does it say that.  So we didn't get to use it ourselves, but we did get to watch some other kids doing it.  Big E handled the disappointment remarkably well.  Steve convinced him that we could take a picture of the one he wanted to do and he would figure out a way to let Big E color it. So Steve took a picture of a plate with Curious George on it. He's good at finding solutions to problems.







After the museum, we were hungry and tried to figure out where to eat.  I had read, in one of my many hours of nap time research, about a restaurant called Heiliggeist (it translates to Holy Spirit) in Mainz that was in an old hospital. From what I can understand from the poor automatic google translate of the restaurant's website, it was started in the 1200s.  It became a multipurpose hospital of the Renaissance time.  The website says that it was less of a hospital like what we have today.  Homeless people, poor, pilgrams and the old lived there.  The sick represented a small percent of the population. It was a bit more expensive than I would have normally spent.  But it was nice inside.  It wasn't outrageous, but it wasn't a place I'd go to frequently just because of the cost.  But it was cool to eat there and I'd say it was worth it.







Then we tried to find the place we were renting.  I had heard of Airbnd on NPR long before we moved over here.  So I thought we'd give it a try.  It also happened to be the cheapest place I could find our whole trip.  The flat was very conveniently located to the Dom.  Seriously a block and a half.  The building wasn't old or anything, but the flat itself was cozy.  I had arranged with the owner of the flat to meet around 5 or 6 and she was okay with that.  But something came up and she wasn't able to meet at that time.  She sent us a message through aribnb, but we hadn't had access to the internet all day.  Our hotel in Koblenz had it, but we had trouble connecting and then we were out and about all day.  Not knowing that she had sent a message, we decided to use our phones and pay the extra costs, to try to call her.  But she didnt' answer.  I printed out each of our reservations.  The Airbnb also had an emergency contact number we could call.  So we called that, which was probably in the US.  They got all the info needed and then tried to contact the lady.  Per policy, they had to give the renter 2 hours to respond.  They read the message to us, which said, "I can't stay until 5 today.  I've left the key at the kiosk shop across from the flat."  But when we looked there wasn't a kiosk shop.  There was a sports shop, a hair salon, and a few shops which were closed.  After walking up and down that block we finally got ahold of the owner.  The shop wasn't exactly directly across, it was across the street and down a ways.  We did eventually get in and settled down for the night, except Steve had to walk back to the station to get our stored luggage.  (Isn't he amazing?  I offered to go, but he didn't think that would work well for safety or strength.  And secretly I agreed. I'm also afraid of getting lost when I'm by myself. I do okay when I'm with other people.)
Here's one of the rooms in the flat.
This wasn't outside the window, but was a square we passed on the way to the flat.


It was quite a fun, exhausting day. Well, every day was like that.  But we did see two cities this day.  

No comments: