Sunday, April 14, 2013

Dumpy Doha Days

Today is a "I can't stand how they do things here!" day.  To be honest, I said, "I hate". Steve suggested that it's an "I love America" day.  I'm in such a mood, that I say it's an "I really love America" day.

I'll explain.  When we got back from Germany I couldn't remember my pin for my debit card when I went to the grocery store.  I remembered the numbers, just not the pattern.  When I tried to put it in at the check out line, it was declined for incorrect pin.  A second attempt did not come up with better results.  So I used my Chase Credit Card, which does work here, but I then have to pay a foreign transaction fee.  But I didn't have enough cash on hand and I was standing in the check out line.  What else could I do?  I guess I could leave the food, but we didn't have anything in the fridge, so we wouldn't have had much fresh fruit or veggies to eat.

After coming home, I thought about it for a while and remembered my pin.  I didn't go to the store for another few days.  Thursday came along and I went to Carrefour to buy some bins for recycling.  Before leaving I made sure I had enough cash in my wallet to pay for it, just in case my card was declined again.  It's a good thing I did, because it was.  I know it was the right pin.

So I called the number on the back of the card and talked to a guy who spoke very good english.  (I was worried that I'd get someone who spoke english, but with such an accent that I wouldn't be able to understand them, which has happened.) He said my card was locked, so he unlocked it and said I could try to use it after 5-10 min.  But if I wanted/needed to change the pin, I'd have to go to the branch where my card is associated.  Meaning, I can't go to just any branch.  I have to go to the Qatar Foundation branch which is near where Steve works.  Now, it's not that far, but there's one right across the street! But I can't go there to change a pin because my account isn't associated with that branch.

On Saturday we ran out of eggs and I was planning on making pancakes for this week's breakfast for Big E.  So I went to the store.  Again, my card was denied.

So the only option I can come up with is that the pin was changed, or the unlock didn't work. I know what you're going to say.  You just don't remember the pin. But I know I have the right pin in the right order.  It's a pattern.

Today I went to the QF branch to get a new pin.  Come to find out, I can only request a new pin there, but it'll be 3 days before I get a new one.  No I can't change there.  I could drive all the way to West Bay at get it.  But that could take more time than I have to spare.  But when the pin comes, I have to go back to the branch to pick it up.  Grr.

In order to the grocery shopping I planned on doing today, I had to withdraw cash with a teller.  But because I wanted less than QR 1000 (which is only $274) there was a charge of QR10.

By the time I left the bank I was so frustrated I could have cried.  At home I could go to any Chase branch in the country and they could help me.  I could have reset my pin right there, choosing the one I want from the beginning, not having to wait for a new pin and then change it at the ATM.  Their system is no logical, not convenient, not user friendly.

I'm tired of going to the store not knowing if I'll find the things I want.  Why is it so hard to stock baking soda? Black beans? I'm tired of knowing that I can go to store x and I know I'll find item 1 on my list, but probably won't find item 2. But if I go to store y I'll find item 2, but not item 1.  And if I do find them, chances are they aren't in the same spot they were the last time I bought them.

Oh, America with your  orderly stores and logical layout, your banks with good customer service, how I miss you.  Only 81 more days.

Okay, rant done. Back to most happy posts about Germany...

3 comments:

Rebecca Holt Stay said...

German stores reject all our bank cards except one. We have to use cash for everything.

They don't have baking powder here.

I am sure there will be more . . .
Hang in there. You really are a good sport! and we love you for it.

Kari Anton said...

Hang in there Rachel! I think you've got a great sense of adventure getting to Doha in the first place. Hope things go a little more smoothly in the next 80 days :)

Unknown said...

We have baking power here :) But really you have adventured more in 8 months than most of us do in a life time! You are free to rant any time you want and with good reason. We love every bit about you!