On Thursday, I posted a picture of some little huts that I didn't really know what they were, but we saw them alot around Frankfurt.

My Mother-in-law sent an email to me later and explained what they are. I'm glad they have a few more people to ask about things than we did. I thought I'd share what she said (with permission), as I found it interesting.
"In your blog you had a photo of really little houses. Those are called datschas from the Russian word Dacha. They are little garden cottages which families own to have a garden and a yard to go to from their apartment in the city. They say that in Russia, HALF of the people own a dacha that they go to on weekends and holidays in the spring summer and fall. They are all over in Germany as well, commonly on the outer ring of a city, but here in Frankfurt they are scattered all over the city, little alleys with 8 small gardens (maybe 30' x 50-80') with a tiny cottage. The cottages usually have a sleeping/eating/cooking room and a small bathroom and that is all. Many have tables outside. Some are really meticulously kept up with every square foot trimmed and planted, dwarf fruit trees, rows of tulips around a vegetable plot, etc. On weekends, it is where everybody goes if they can. Friends go to each others' and they eat and drink and visit and the kids play together."
My Mother-in-law sent an email to me later and explained what they are. I'm glad they have a few more people to ask about things than we did. I thought I'd share what she said (with permission), as I found it interesting.
"In your blog you had a photo of really little houses. Those are called datschas from the Russian word Dacha. They are little garden cottages which families own to have a garden and a yard to go to from their apartment in the city. They say that in Russia, HALF of the people own a dacha that they go to on weekends and holidays in the spring summer and fall. They are all over in Germany as well, commonly on the outer ring of a city, but here in Frankfurt they are scattered all over the city, little alleys with 8 small gardens (maybe 30' x 50-80') with a tiny cottage. The cottages usually have a sleeping/eating/cooking room and a small bathroom and that is all. Many have tables outside. Some are really meticulously kept up with every square foot trimmed and planted, dwarf fruit trees, rows of tulips around a vegetable plot, etc. On weekends, it is where everybody goes if they can. Friends go to each others' and they eat and drink and visit and the kids play together."
It sounds lovely to go to a dacha and garden and relax with friends. I'd love to be able to do it and it would be worth the 85 euros a month to rent. But then, I'd love to just see more green. :)

1 comment:
I definitely need a datscha.
Post a Comment