Saturday, July 6, 2013

Happy Birthday Big E!

Big E has been to a number of birthday parties since we've moved to Doha.  All of the kids in the compound have had birthday parties and we live in such a small compound that if you invite some, you invite all.  Big E has never had a birthday party with friends before.  So I decided to throw a birthday party for him before we left Doha.

Big E loves Thomas the Train. Sometimes it's on TV in the mornings and I'll let him watch the episode.  So the theme of the party was Thomas the Train.  When I told him about the party and asked if he would like that, he said, "Yeah, I think that would be good," with a content smile on his face.  Thomas the Train, if you can find it in Doha (occasionally you can) is very expensive.  I only found Thomas and Friends things, but no Thomas.  But I did find a pack of 4 trains that was about $5. Big E saw the blue one with red stripes and said, "Look!  It's Thomas!"  Awesome.  If that works for him, it works for me.  He was with me on the shopping trip as the train was actually for the cake.  He wanted a train track on the cake with a train on it.  (I showed him some ideas that I could do and he chose that one.)

Here's Big E helping me trace a Thomas.

I made train tracks that led up to the club house across the street and Big E was very excited about that.



We had a Platform for food, cake, and baggage.






We played Pin the One on Thomas, and had a train race.  After eating food and cake, and playing games, we went to the pool and swam.




Here is Big E playing with a toy he got.
Big E's actual birthday was while we were in Germany visiting Steve's parents, we are serving a mission in Frankfurt. So we celebrated again.  This time Big E got to open the gifts after he got up in the morning.
Miss A got to play with some, too.

After lunch and an early nap for Miss A, we went to the Frankfurt Zoo.

Big E's favorite parts of the zoo were the giraffes and the park.
After dinner we had some cupcakes, which Big E helped to make.




I can hardly believe he's 4 already.  I would never have thought when he was born that we would celebrate his 4th birthday in Germany.  He's so fun to be around.  We have our moments of normal frustration, but he's such a good big brother, he is thoughtful and kind.  He will let Miss A sit on his lap and read a story to her.  He often offers to share his snack with me and Miss A.  I'm so glad he's part of our family.  

1 comment:

heather said...

Happy Birthday Elliott! I think 4 is a really fun age!