One morning about two weeks ago, I noticed a bug with wings crawling on the kitchen floor. I thought nothing of it, smashed it and threw it away. Then there was another, just like the first. He got the same treatment. A little bit later there was another one, only he didn't have wings. This was starting to get suspicious. As I looked there were some crawling around. I got rid of them and tried to find where they were coming from. It wasn't hard really. If you recall my post about the dust storm, there is a gap in our back door. That would be the most obvious place for them to come in.
This is what I found

What are those? Those are wings. So the bugs come in and drop their wings. See that nice gap right by the brushy bottom of the door and the door frame? Also, where the brush is, there's no wood, it's just a gap, which you can easily see from the outside. I made a mental note to call maintenance to have them come and look and went about my morning (it was barely 7 am).
Then Amelia needed a diaper change. I keep diapers and wipes in the downstairs bedroom so I don't have to go upstairs every time she needs to be changed. While I was in there, I notice a lot of bugs, all the same as I saw in the kitchen, crawling around the floor. And I inwardly groan. I hate bugs. So I quickly finish changing the diaper and get the dust pan and hand broom. Not sure why I grabbed that, but I did. I swept some up and threw them in the toilet. But the more I swept up, the more I saw. I finally looked behind the bed, where the window is. This is what I saw:

Wings, wings, and more wings. Down in the track there were bugs crawling around. I took a video, but I have yet to successfully upload a video here. But maybe you don't want to see that.
I quickly called maintenance, and then did some research. From what I can tell, they were swarming termites, thankfully not worker termites, but still just as gross.
The maintenance man came, had a look, then left to go get some spray. I generally don't want them to spray because I don't know what they use, and I'm quite sure the standards here are not up to what the US has. But this was another matter. When he came back, he and another guy went in there and closed the door. When they had sprayed, he said, "Don't go in...two hours. My cleaner come two hours." And he locked the door. I put a towel at the base of the door, and then we left the house to go to LuLu express to play. LuLu is a grocery store, but in the one by our house, there is some outdoor play equipment inside that kids can play on. So we played there until the the cleaner was supposed to come.
But he didn't come until 4 hours later. He cleaned, some. I decided that I'd turn on the vet in the bathroom in that room and we wouldn't go in there for another 24.
So far I haven't seen any more bugs, except for the roach that crawled out from underneath the piano the other evening. Yuck.
What are those? Those are wings. So the bugs come in and drop their wings. See that nice gap right by the brushy bottom of the door and the door frame? Also, where the brush is, there's no wood, it's just a gap, which you can easily see from the outside. I made a mental note to call maintenance to have them come and look and went about my morning (it was barely 7 am).
Then Amelia needed a diaper change. I keep diapers and wipes in the downstairs bedroom so I don't have to go upstairs every time she needs to be changed. While I was in there, I notice a lot of bugs, all the same as I saw in the kitchen, crawling around the floor. And I inwardly groan. I hate bugs. So I quickly finish changing the diaper and get the dust pan and hand broom. Not sure why I grabbed that, but I did. I swept some up and threw them in the toilet. But the more I swept up, the more I saw. I finally looked behind the bed, where the window is. This is what I saw:
Wings, wings, and more wings. Down in the track there were bugs crawling around. I took a video, but I have yet to successfully upload a video here. But maybe you don't want to see that.
I quickly called maintenance, and then did some research. From what I can tell, they were swarming termites, thankfully not worker termites, but still just as gross.
The maintenance man came, had a look, then left to go get some spray. I generally don't want them to spray because I don't know what they use, and I'm quite sure the standards here are not up to what the US has. But this was another matter. When he came back, he and another guy went in there and closed the door. When they had sprayed, he said, "Don't go in...two hours. My cleaner come two hours." And he locked the door. I put a towel at the base of the door, and then we left the house to go to LuLu express to play. LuLu is a grocery store, but in the one by our house, there is some outdoor play equipment inside that kids can play on. So we played there until the the cleaner was supposed to come.
But he didn't come until 4 hours later. He cleaned, some. I decided that I'd turn on the vet in the bathroom in that room and we wouldn't go in there for another 24.
So far I haven't seen any more bugs, except for the roach that crawled out from underneath the piano the other evening. Yuck.
3 comments:
Oh, yuck. Although E's cousin E may enjoy such invasions, to me they are the scourge of the warm world.
We get swarming termites, it seems like about once a year. But, not as bad as this. I often keep the back door open, but at that time of year if it's not closed at dusk, they come in and fly around the lights (and drop their wings).
Ew.
Post a Comment