Saturday, July 6, 2013

Disney on Ice

Disney on Ice came to Doha at the beginning of the month.  We considered buying tickets, but not for long.  The cheapest tickets were like $40 and we didn't want to spend that much money on it.  And it turns out Qatar Foundation, who sponsored Disney on Ice, had free tickets that they were giving away to QF employees and their families.  Steve happened to be on working on his computer at work when he got the email, and immediately responded.  And he got the tickets!

The tickets we got were for the 4pm show.  Steve doesn't get home until 3:35 and I have to wait until all the kids I watch are gone. But we made it.  It helped that 1) the convention center is almsot literally across the street from where we live, and 2) nothing ever begins on time here.  Usually number 2 is an annoyance, but on this day it was nice.  The show didn't actually start until 4:15.  And when we were coming in at about 4, so was most of the audience.

The arena had to be made specially for Disney on Ice.  The bleachers were not permanent.  I was imagining what I would probably see in the US, a huge arena, but it wasn't.  But that meant that even the "cheap" seats, weren't far away.  Big E and Miss A weren't too sure about things before it started. We dont' go to many loud events, but they warmed up to it.  Big E was never jumping up and down or singing along to the few songs he knew, but he enjoyed it.

This show was a compilation of the past 100 years of Disney.  All the Disney princesses were there, including Pocahontas and Mulan.  The only ones that Big E knew were Buzz, Woody, and Jesse from Toy Story, and Simba and Nala from The Lion King, and The Incredibles. Well, and of course, Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, and Donald.  He enjoyed the electric light parade.  There were some "fireworks" during the finale and Miss A got really excited and "ooohed" and pointed at them all.

Of course I'm glad we got to go.  It one of those things that if you don't go, you aren't too sad because you don't know what you're missing, but  we had fun.  It did make me want to show Big E all of these movies that I grew up with.  I hope my mom still has some of them.  We may be watching some this summer.
This one is from Aladin.  Those are genies down there.
Big E sat this way for most of the first half of the show.





No comments: