On Sunday (it's still strange to say that we go out and do things on Sunday rather than go to church) we went to find the lumber souq. I dont' remember the name of it, but Steve would. It was a bit tricky to find. Our neighbor went to it and said that it was kind of behind a hotel, down an alley-like street. Steve researched it online and found something about a souq that sold raw wood and a company that might also sell wood. So we went to see if we could find them. We stopped at the company first. Parking was just about non existant, so we parked in a neighborhood and walked. Steve went in to ask and I stayed outside with the kids in the stroller. I felt a bit out of place, standing there by myself. Steve came back and said that was a flooring company, but they gave him directions to the souq we were looking for.
We parked near the show room of the flooring company and asked in there, since the directions got a little twisted from there. They told us to turn left, then right after the hotel. So we did, but it was just a run down street. There wasn't any market to be seen. We were still walking with the kids in the stroller. When we got to the main street, Steve asked again about a souq around there. The man directed us to the next street over. We finally found the souq. I'm glad that Steve was with me. In the whole time we were out, I think I saw 2 other women, and they were fully covered, except for two slits for the eyes. So I was pretty much the only western woman around. I'm sure the men running the shops in that souq don't see that ever day. Again, I felt out of place. It felt like I stood out, only white skinned woman around. I wouldn't have gone by myself. I didn't feel threatened, just awkward.
The souq has a strange collection of shops that are not covered like Souq Waqif. It had a shop for kitchen appliances, many shops for curtains, hardware, and other such things. Towards the back is the raw wood. I don't think you get much choice on the kind of wood. Wood is non existant here naturally. So you take what you can get. But we found what Steve wanted to get which was just some raw wood to make into a height chart.
Since we can't mark the kids heights on a door frame or the wall, Steve came up with the idea for a height chart for the kids that we could take with us where ever we went. So he got the wood and some hinges and sand paper and made a folding height chart. I think it was a fabulous idea.

Big E and I painted it.

The rest of the day we rested and got a few things down around the house.
We parked near the show room of the flooring company and asked in there, since the directions got a little twisted from there. They told us to turn left, then right after the hotel. So we did, but it was just a run down street. There wasn't any market to be seen. We were still walking with the kids in the stroller. When we got to the main street, Steve asked again about a souq around there. The man directed us to the next street over. We finally found the souq. I'm glad that Steve was with me. In the whole time we were out, I think I saw 2 other women, and they were fully covered, except for two slits for the eyes. So I was pretty much the only western woman around. I'm sure the men running the shops in that souq don't see that ever day. Again, I felt out of place. It felt like I stood out, only white skinned woman around. I wouldn't have gone by myself. I didn't feel threatened, just awkward.
The souq has a strange collection of shops that are not covered like Souq Waqif. It had a shop for kitchen appliances, many shops for curtains, hardware, and other such things. Towards the back is the raw wood. I don't think you get much choice on the kind of wood. Wood is non existant here naturally. So you take what you can get. But we found what Steve wanted to get which was just some raw wood to make into a height chart.
Big E and I painted it.

The rest of the day we rested and got a few things down around the house.
No comments:
Post a Comment