Friday, February 22, 2013

The First Chapel in the Middle East

One thing happened today was quite unique.

We were able to participate via web broadcast in the dedication of the very first LDS chapel in the middle east.  It is located in Abu Dhabi. Elder Jeffrey R. Holland (an Apostle like the Apostles in the New Testament) came to dedicate it.  It was a neat experience.  Buildings are built and dedicated all over the world, but to have one in the Middle East in a Muslim country is amazing.  Elder Holland said that we were all here to help the Lord's work, even if it was a job that brought us over.  He also said that this is just the beginning.

There wasn't anything extraordinary about the meeting, but to be able to say I attended the dedication of the first chapel in the Middle East is awesome. 

4 comments:

Marci said...

That is awesome! Did his statement that even if it was a job that brought you over that you had been brought there to help build the kingdom resonate with you?

Unknown said...

I think it being there for the dedication of the first building in an Arabic country is a wonderful legacy to tell your grandchildren about! I think it would feel good to have an apostle of the Lord confirm what you already knew, about being there for the Lord's purposes.

Anonymous said...

I think my brother talked about attending that meeting. He used to live in Abu Dhabi. He may have been on the stand as the Disrict President., Gary Price. He was the Stake President before they made your Stake.

I love reading about your adventures! We miss having your family here, though.

tpmotd said...

I think Elder Holland's exact words about why people come here were: "You all think you're here for professional reasons, but that's beside the point. You're here for the Church. We'll let you make a living the best that you can." All said with a smile and a laugh in his voice, but probably quite serious. :)