An interesting thing happened on Thursday while we were at City Center Mall. Well, two things really. We went to do some Christmas shopping. In the mall there is a small amusement park type area for kids to play on, for a price of course. Big E really wanted to ride on the merry-go-round with the animals on it. We don't usually let him ride things like that because they are usually over priced and back home I almost never had cash. Here you have to buy a card and put money on it and pay that way. So much more of a hassel, or so much more convenient since you dont' need cash. But it's Christmas, so we let Big E ride. As he was getting on our neighbors came up. They were going to go shopping as well. They had a buy one get one free ticket for the play area and invited Big E to play with them. Steve stayed with big E, which was very convenient since I had to get him something for Christmas.
I took Miss A with me and walked around to find something Steve would like. As I was walking, a man came up to me and said, "Come. I want take your picture" (He had a thick accent so it was a bit hard to understand). At first I was quite leery about this. Here is this strange man asking for my picture. I don't normally let people take pictures of us. Not that anyone has really asked like that before.
"Come. I show you. Come. See." He said. "It's for magazine in Qatar Airways or Emirates."
So I decided to go and at least look. We walked to a restaurant ahead called Richoux which says that it's based in London. After a bit more questioning and repeating what they said to make sure I understood I figured out that they were making an advertisement for an in-fight magazine which is on Qatar Airways and Emirates flights.
"We need blue eyed people," a Qatari woman said. There was another lady there who had just finished and she confirmed what they were doing. So I agreed. They sat me down at a table that was already set with a meal. Amelia was in a high chair next to me and they took the pictures, some with the waiter pouring the sauce and some with just us sitting there.
When the photographer was finished the Qatari woman said, "Eat. Go ahead." "Really?" "Yes, eat." So I did. I had salmon and seasoned rice with steamed veggies. It was probably the best salmon that I've ever had. But that doesn't say much since I don't eat it a lot, but it really was good.
The odd thing was that I didn't have to sign any papers or anything. I gave them no personal information. The man gave me his card and said to call in a week, maybe two (read probably three), to see if they are going to use the pictures.
I've never been singled out because of my eye color or hair. So it was quite interesting. At least it wasn't an awful experience, as it very well could have been. I've seen the migrant workers here watch as I drive past while they're in the bus, or as their bus passes me on the road, but that's it.
The other interesting thing happened while Big E, Miss A, and I were waited for Steve to pick us up in the front of the mall. We were standing by a water fall and a restaurant called Hippopotamus. (strange name) and what should I hear over the speakers but "The Little Drummer Boy"! Next came "Joy to the World"! There weren't any lyrics, but I knew what songs they were. Big E even recognized the first one. It's his favorite one this year. It almost felt like Christmas being in a mall and hearing Christmas music over the speakers.
I took Miss A with me and walked around to find something Steve would like. As I was walking, a man came up to me and said, "Come. I want take your picture" (He had a thick accent so it was a bit hard to understand). At first I was quite leery about this. Here is this strange man asking for my picture. I don't normally let people take pictures of us. Not that anyone has really asked like that before.
"Come. I show you. Come. See." He said. "It's for magazine in Qatar Airways or Emirates."
So I decided to go and at least look. We walked to a restaurant ahead called Richoux which says that it's based in London. After a bit more questioning and repeating what they said to make sure I understood I figured out that they were making an advertisement for an in-fight magazine which is on Qatar Airways and Emirates flights.
"We need blue eyed people," a Qatari woman said. There was another lady there who had just finished and she confirmed what they were doing. So I agreed. They sat me down at a table that was already set with a meal. Amelia was in a high chair next to me and they took the pictures, some with the waiter pouring the sauce and some with just us sitting there.
When the photographer was finished the Qatari woman said, "Eat. Go ahead." "Really?" "Yes, eat." So I did. I had salmon and seasoned rice with steamed veggies. It was probably the best salmon that I've ever had. But that doesn't say much since I don't eat it a lot, but it really was good.
The odd thing was that I didn't have to sign any papers or anything. I gave them no personal information. The man gave me his card and said to call in a week, maybe two (read probably three), to see if they are going to use the pictures.
I've never been singled out because of my eye color or hair. So it was quite interesting. At least it wasn't an awful experience, as it very well could have been. I've seen the migrant workers here watch as I drive past while they're in the bus, or as their bus passes me on the road, but that's it.
The other interesting thing happened while Big E, Miss A, and I were waited for Steve to pick us up in the front of the mall. We were standing by a water fall and a restaurant called Hippopotamus. (strange name) and what should I hear over the speakers but "The Little Drummer Boy"! Next came "Joy to the World"! There weren't any lyrics, but I knew what songs they were. Big E even recognized the first one. It's his favorite one this year. It almost felt like Christmas being in a mall and hearing Christmas music over the speakers.
2 comments:
So what did they have for Miss A to eat?
And I think they actually wanted some BEAUTIFUL blue eyed people, but that is just my opinion . . .
We get comments all the time here about Sam's eyes. Since most people's here are brown, he's kind of a novelty too. It's kinda fun. When I was subbing, the kids (in high schools too) would always ask "are those your real eyes?" It happened in almost every class I ever subbed for.
Post a Comment