Friday, November 23, 2012

Thanksgiving Doha style

I'm happy to say that our little Thanksgiving meal was successful. Nothing burned, or didn't turn out right. And it tasted wonder.  The kids, well, they ate the rolls.  Elliott doesn't seem to like pie yet, so I bought some blueberries, which were on sale for about $2-$3 a pint.  He loves them and was so anxious to eat them he could hardly stand to eat dinner.

We had the normal fare, except sweet potatoes...and turkey.  Steve says he's not a big fan of sweet potatoes, so I would be the only one eating them. But I'm making some for Christmas.  When I went shopping for things for dinner, the only whole chicken the store had were very small ones, like 1 kg little birds.  It was like the Cratchit's Christmas bird when Scrooge sees their dinner.  And oh how they were grateful for that bird.  We were grateful for ours, too.  But it wasn't quite like a turkey.


Elliott entertained himself while waiting for the food to cook by playing outside and admiring the rolls rising on the stove.


Amelia entertained herself by playing on the little riding truck we have.


Even though I was homesick after the kids went to bed and Elliott and Amelia don't really care about Thanksgiving, I'm glad we had a dinner at home.  We still need to have our traditions that we did at home.


1 comment:

Rebecca Holt Stay said...

I remember our first thanksgiving alone: after the meal was over, you couldn't tell that we had eaten anything because there was soooo much food. I misread the recipe for pumpkin pie and had enough filling for TWO pies. . . and a WHOLE turkey for the two of us. Live and learn to invite people over.