One of the students that is graduating soon, invited all of his senior teachers as well as the principal and vice-principal, and the counselor and their families to his house for lunch. We decided to go, and for some reason decided to bring the kids. Though they did well after lunch, before and during lunch was a bit rough with Miss A. The lunch was a late lunch; we came at 1:30 and didn't sit down to eat until about 2:15. The kids had lunch at our normal lunch time, so that by the time we ate it was snack time for them.
Anyway, it was a fabulous experience, other than Miss A being overwhelmed sitting on my lap in the majlis (a majlis is where guests go, it's kind of like a parlor). We were the second group to arrive. I really had to take cues from what Steve did and our hosts as to what I should do. I never offered my hand to shake hands as I knew that that isn't as socially acceptable between men and women, but I would accept if they offered. Some of the young men there did put out their hands when we greeted. I was surprised, but shook hands as it's no big deal for me to do so. I had a few minutes to sit with the student's mom and talk with her. Then as other guests arrived, she had to welcome them.
Miss A was very shy and just about lost it while sitting on my lap, then Steve came and got her (we were in the same room, but I was sitting on the opposite side, not quite sure if there really was a men's side and a women's side, but that's kinda what it looked like). She was happier with Steve, of course. Big E did great.
Servers went around the majlis offering luqaimat, which is a deep fried dough ball, then dipped in a sugar syrup. Some of them had sesame seeds on them, others had been rolled in coarse sugar (all the sugar here is very coarse), and a third kind has a different kind of syrup on it, but I don't know what it was. They're really good and I already had found a recipe for them. So I think I'll try to make them. They also offered arabic coffee, which looked like hot orange juice, and green tea. Fortunately, you just had to put up a hand and say no thank you whenever they came by and nothing was thought of it.
When lunch was ready we all went through to the formal dining room. I wish I could have taken a picture of the spread. There was so much food on the table you wouldn't have believed it. In the center there was a whole (cooked) lamb with saffron rice and sliced boiled eggs. There were two large dishes of shrimp and rice and a tomato rice dish. There was chicken thighs with chickpeas in a sauce, and a number of other dishes that I dont' know what they were but were good. There was tabouleh, and salad, and little stuffed breads, and and and. There was at least two of every dish besides the lamb. I did not try all of it, as there was just too much. After everyone had finished, some things looked like they had hardly been touched as there was so much. The servers came to offer things, just like in the movies where there are servers. That, honestly, made it easier as Miss A was on my lap for most of lunch and was not happy to stay sitting.
But she sure likes luqaimat. She tried to stick all of it in her mouth. Miss A warmed up to being there after lunch. As long as no one touched her, she would laugh at what they did to make her laugh. The assistant principal of the school meowed quite convincingly like a cat and Miss A and Big E would laugh and laugh. So all in all, I'm glad we went. It was an interesting and fun experience. Not many expats get the opportunity to enter a Qatari's home, much less be invited over for a meal. If there's ever a next time though, we might find a babysitter and save us the trouble of trying to politely calm and entertain two little ones. ;)
Anyway, it was a fabulous experience, other than Miss A being overwhelmed sitting on my lap in the majlis (a majlis is where guests go, it's kind of like a parlor). We were the second group to arrive. I really had to take cues from what Steve did and our hosts as to what I should do. I never offered my hand to shake hands as I knew that that isn't as socially acceptable between men and women, but I would accept if they offered. Some of the young men there did put out their hands when we greeted. I was surprised, but shook hands as it's no big deal for me to do so. I had a few minutes to sit with the student's mom and talk with her. Then as other guests arrived, she had to welcome them.
Miss A was very shy and just about lost it while sitting on my lap, then Steve came and got her (we were in the same room, but I was sitting on the opposite side, not quite sure if there really was a men's side and a women's side, but that's kinda what it looked like). She was happier with Steve, of course. Big E did great.
Servers went around the majlis offering luqaimat, which is a deep fried dough ball, then dipped in a sugar syrup. Some of them had sesame seeds on them, others had been rolled in coarse sugar (all the sugar here is very coarse), and a third kind has a different kind of syrup on it, but I don't know what it was. They're really good and I already had found a recipe for them. So I think I'll try to make them. They also offered arabic coffee, which looked like hot orange juice, and green tea. Fortunately, you just had to put up a hand and say no thank you whenever they came by and nothing was thought of it.
When lunch was ready we all went through to the formal dining room. I wish I could have taken a picture of the spread. There was so much food on the table you wouldn't have believed it. In the center there was a whole (cooked) lamb with saffron rice and sliced boiled eggs. There were two large dishes of shrimp and rice and a tomato rice dish. There was chicken thighs with chickpeas in a sauce, and a number of other dishes that I dont' know what they were but were good. There was tabouleh, and salad, and little stuffed breads, and and and. There was at least two of every dish besides the lamb. I did not try all of it, as there was just too much. After everyone had finished, some things looked like they had hardly been touched as there was so much. The servers came to offer things, just like in the movies where there are servers. That, honestly, made it easier as Miss A was on my lap for most of lunch and was not happy to stay sitting.
But she sure likes luqaimat. She tried to stick all of it in her mouth. Miss A warmed up to being there after lunch. As long as no one touched her, she would laugh at what they did to make her laugh. The assistant principal of the school meowed quite convincingly like a cat and Miss A and Big E would laugh and laugh. So all in all, I'm glad we went. It was an interesting and fun experience. Not many expats get the opportunity to enter a Qatari's home, much less be invited over for a meal. If there's ever a next time though, we might find a babysitter and save us the trouble of trying to politely calm and entertain two little ones. ;)
3 comments:
I have found with my girls that I cannot expect them to eat any significant amount at a party. They may eat, but then again they may not. Removing that as an expectation (and making sure they have sufficient before and after has made it a lot easier for them to behave well. You're right though, taking little ones to big parties is a big hassle.
That sounds so cool! I wish you could have taken pictures too :) I'm glad that the kids finally warmed up. What was your favorite dish?
What a fun experience! I get the impression that the Qatarians are extremely good hostesses. I am so looking forward to some of the food you have experienced so far.
Post a Comment