Friday, March 28, 2014

Scholastic: Qatar Edition

So I was surprised to open E's backpack one day and find a scholastic book order form.  I have many memories of getting those at school and looking through them and wanting to get books from Scholastic.  It always seemed to exciting, even though I almost never got to order from it.

Anyway, the Qatar edition is a bit different.

Notice anything odd?  Yes, that is tape on it.  The school had the "helpers"  (the helpers are Filipino ladies who help in the class rooms and clean the school) tape over any book that had a pig in it, was about Easter, or suggested teen romance (though that one actually might be a good thing...).  Oddly enough, Steve said that at the school he works at, they had the same order form, and no one had taped over it.  So odd.

1 comment:

heather said...

How funny. When I saw this in the monthly pictures I wondered whether it was censorship or kids playing with tape, both of which seemed equally plausible.