Wednesday, August 15, 2012

And they're off!

Our boxes (which have been sitting in my parents garage for two months now) shipped today.  I can't believe it, and when I think of it my heart starts pounding.  We fly one week from today.  One week!  Where has the past 6 months gone?

One thing I will say is that we will never ship with the company we've gone through again.  For their sake I'll leave them nameless.  Some people haven't had any problems.  But almost every time we've contact the person we've been working with, we learn something new about the shipping process.  After a numer of round abouts in trying to figure out how to ship we finally got smart and asked the person to send us every single detail we could possibly need to know about shipping by air or boat and shipping in general so that we can make an informed decision.  But even then we didn't get a document  or even all the info in one email.  They contacted us on Monday with some last minute paper work to fill out but we missed the call and didn't get the message until after 5 eastern time.  So I had to work it all out yesterday and the guy Steve called mention more things that we weren't supposed to have in our shipment, such as lithium ion batteries and nail polish.  Apparently that's a fire hazard.  We're shipping my old laptop and carrying Steve's laptop (both from before we got married) with us.  The problem is that our boxes are in Oklahoma and we're in Utah and I have no idea which box has the computer.  I was a bit stressed about how we were going to get that out.  But after a phone call I learned that one lithium ion battery is okay, just not a lot of them.  The documents they need us to fill out were not clear and had abbreviations with no explanation of what the abbreviations meant.  I will be so glad to be done with shipping things over, including ourselves.

The next big thing to do....somehow pack all the rest of our stuff into 7 suitcases and three carry-ons.

No comments: