Tuesday, May 8, 2012

A New Minimalist

I want to get into the habit of blogging regularly.  Here's my attempt, but don't expect too much.  :)

For a while before the garage sale, I felt that we had too much stuff.  And some of it was just stuff.  What do you do with too much stuff?  You either store it or get rid of it.   I stored it, but wanted to get rid of it and never did it.  So now with less in the house, I've been thinking about living with less, basically the saying that less is more.  I sold most of my kitchen utensils, even my dishes.  We're borrowing some extra dishes my mom had and some utensils that were saved for my sister when she gets an apartment next year in college.  I saved my favorite things.  It amounts to the basics.  A pot, a sauce pan, a frying pan, etc.  And you know what?  I don't miss the things we sold.  I've been able to cook, so far, with the few things we have.  Only once have I said, "I wish we hadn't sold that" (in regards to cooking) and it was only for convenience.  It's has only been a few days, so I haven't done a lot of cooking yet; so time will tell.  But I feel almost liberated.  We don't need so many things that might claim to make life or cooking easier or faster.  I think I will try to stick with a less is more policy from now on. I do still think a kitchen table is necessary.  Or at least something to put a plate on rather than my lap or the floor.  My back is tired already.

Poor Big E has had some difficulty with selling so much.  Last week saw many more tantrums than normal, and on Saturday, after waking up and having a rough early morning, he looked over to where the stereo used to be and said with tears in his eyes, "Where's my stereo?"  That just broke my heart.  (I was also regretting selling the stereo, and still do) I wanted to make it better for him, but I couldn't bring it back.  I think that God may look at me in the same way some times.  I might throw a fit and not want to do something, say move over seas, but He knows what's best for me and my family and so He doesn't fix the issue like I might want.  Instead He gives me ways to cope and ways to help me help Big E.  I hope in the long run that I will be grateful for  this experience.

5 comments:

tpmotd said...

This is why we're meant to be: you post a nice, thoughtful paragraph or two about how we're going to get through this together and learn from it, instead of posting a rant about how miserable I'm making you.
Thank you, dear.

heather said...

One of the best things about moving 5 times in 6 years of marriage is getting the less is more lifestyle down to an art. Keep making yourself get rid of things- I've found its the best way to combat "stuff accumulation." But after living this way for a while, I'm a much better buyer. I mostly know whether or not we're going to use it, and if we're not, we don't get it, and then we get to spend our money on dates and experiences with the kids.

Good luck with E. It's definitely hard on the kids (and therefore on mom), but keep praying and reminding yourself he's resilient, and when the discouraging times come, just accept it as part of the process, take a deep breath, and take a step forward.

Love you!

Deb said...

I missed my stereo when I sold it too! I feel for you, Big E!

When we first got to Hawaii, we had nothing - no furniture, only a few (borrowed) blankets and pillows on the living room floor. Thanks to the Ks we did have a bed and a little dresser that they'd kept from some other friends who moved out, but that was it.

But we certainly weren't any less happy without all that stuff.

Now fast forward 3 years and it's time to get rid of stuff again! Crazy how fast it accumulates!

Love you!

Marcelle said...

Wow, Rachel. You're very inspiring. Maybe if I had moved more than once in 8 years of marriage, I'd be more artful about getting rid of stuff. I'm doing it one day at a time. And WHEW! I'll be glad when it's over. Now, if I only knew where we'd be living in July. . .

Rebecca Holt Stay said...

So, I moved 3 times in 40 years and twice someone else packed, paid and moved us. This last move was in a hurry. We got rid of several tons of stuff (literally) but still have tons more to get rid of.
Just say "NO" when I offer you something you really don't want.
And we'll pass it on to charity.